August holiday time
I am fairly new to the motorbike transport option, with less than a years riding under my belt. Sooooo why not grow that experience by doing a two and a bit week bike trip into Europe haha
I actually got my 'learner' licence last August, after sort-of joking to some friends and Sam that for his 30th I should get MY licence so he has a pal to do trips with...fast forward to two weeks before his actual birthday, we are out for dinner with Sam's brother and his girlfriend and she asks me if I'd ever get my licence...in my head I'm like shit, I have step 1 out of 4 booked in a weeks time, and if I tell now then fail, I cannae just sweep it under the rug and not tell anyone it ever happened haha...but I am also terrible at thinking of literally any other sentences when I have a real answer so I spilled the beans...no going back once people know it is happening eek...to be honest thank god she asked, I was 50/50 on the cancelling and now I fricken love it, imagine what fun I'd be missing out on! Chur Dani...
That being said, I did pass (phew) and then also passed the three following tests to become fully licensed. Talk about thorough. And stressful. And expensive. All for good fun though. I drive around in a car every day, and ride my bicycle, so why not add this mode of transport. I'm no racer, might be over cautious - as in, filtering/white-lining, whatever you call it, is something I only really do in standstill traffic. I am no fearless/idiotic delivery scooter operator weaving and squeezing and generally being a chaotic pain in the ass. It'll come to me with practice and confidence I am sure, har har, but for now I'm fine with being in a little bit of traffic.
I actually got my 'learner' licence last August, after sort-of joking to some friends and Sam that for his 30th I should get MY licence so he has a pal to do trips with...fast forward to two weeks before his actual birthday, we are out for dinner with Sam's brother and his girlfriend and she asks me if I'd ever get my licence...in my head I'm like shit, I have step 1 out of 4 booked in a weeks time, and if I tell now then fail, I cannae just sweep it under the rug and not tell anyone it ever happened haha...but I am also terrible at thinking of literally any other sentences when I have a real answer so I spilled the beans...no going back once people know it is happening eek...to be honest thank god she asked, I was 50/50 on the cancelling and now I fricken love it, imagine what fun I'd be missing out on! Chur Dani...
That being said, I did pass (phew) and then also passed the three following tests to become fully licensed. Talk about thorough. And stressful. And expensive. All for good fun though. I drive around in a car every day, and ride my bicycle, so why not add this mode of transport. I'm no racer, might be over cautious - as in, filtering/white-lining, whatever you call it, is something I only really do in standstill traffic. I am no fearless/idiotic delivery scooter operator weaving and squeezing and generally being a chaotic pain in the ass. It'll come to me with practice and confidence I am sure, har har, but for now I'm fine with being in a little bit of traffic.
I have just upgraded from my lil sewing machine of a bike, a Honda cbf125 (tenderly nicknamed YeoBikuuuu or the Can'tBeFucked) to Sam's old BMW, but I am generally around the SW parts of London, so I have no experience with the real shit-show of peak city traffic, bumper to bumper lines upon lines, and that is fiiiine by me. To the bikers who roam that far, including my husband, I salute your bravery and steely nerves.
I've come to think of being on a motorbike is like being a psychic. Not only for the fact that turning a slow bend feels like only a thought makes it happen with very little to no physical input from my actual body, acceleration being the same...but also for the fact that you have to foresee the future of every damn car, cyclist, pedestrian, and other motorbike/scooter out there, for no one seems content following the road rules anymore. Even the simplest for pedestrians: stop, look, listen. C'mon guys, is being run over really and truly worth reading a fucking tweet? It amazes me how many people don't hear the bike, then get a fright when they're SECONDS FROM DEATH. Just kidding, never seconds, I never go fast enough. But also the most basic lesson we all learn from the minute our baby-eyes can see colour, that red, it means stop. Not gun it. Not 'see if I can fit'. Not 'sheepish shrug and wave', even though you are blatantly running a full red light, cars are beeping, you completely inconsiderate asshole, like the possibility of killing someone instead of waiting 5 minutes for the lights to change needs a reaction comparable to not knowing the answer to someones question you probably didn't listen to, that damn annoying sheepish shrug and wave. I shake my fist at the sky every time.
So I guess I've joined the biggest secret society this world has to offer, the Motorbike Psychic's Society. Give me a badge someone PLEASE and I'll sew it right on my jacket.
Anywho, lets leave the full blown rants for now and wrap this up. We are going to do a bit of Europe for the next 16 days, we have far too many roads we want to ride and probably not enough time at allllll to do them, but off we go. Wish us (me) luck!
Toodle-pip!
Comments