 |
| welcome hooomeeee |
 |
| if i could have any rug...id have all the rugs. |
 |
| lil duo |
 |
| karma karma karma karma karma cha-meee-leeeoooon |
 |
| light fixtures anyone? |
 |
| yes iiiiii wouldlikesomemintteaontheroof thankyou! |
 |
| ma havin a relax after a long day! |
Right I'm back! So. Flying to Marrakech. See ya later Bercelona, until next time. Flying in was weird, the scenery you look down on is so different from any I've flown across, deserts and just the way the hills and cliffs and all that are...and all topped with this clear bluey purpley dusty looking sky. I dunno how to explain it, the atmosphere is just different round there. Yep. Then the landing, it was like flying in to the beginning of the movie Inception, minus the ocean, with all the uniform 5 storey square monopoly-hotel looking buildings all packed together. And all that clay/reddy/browm colour, every single one. So we land at the little airport and step out into this clammy but somehow dry heat, make our way through passport checks and money exchanges and out to find our 'driver'. This leg of our trip was to be the relaxing (what on your first ever visit to Morocco? Yes, and what?) part, so we had booked a nicer place to stay, that had airport transfers and all that. Ah, travelling with Mum, excuses to do things like that ;) Anyway. We found our guy, who funnily enough had 2 other people from the same flight to collect, who were staying at the same place, and away we go...Huzzah for Groupon deals!
I probably always say this, but I don't know what I was expecting...a different kind of busy? Right by the airport is like a barren wasteland, which I guess isn't that odd, but then it's all the rubbish that makes takes it down a notch. They had these fake palm trees that were radio towers hahaha, which was funny AND pleasing to the eye, this should happen everywhere. Our driver does about 90 on streets like George st in Dunedin, and isn't really in any one lane, and there are cars duct taped together fighting for the spot beside you, and 8 cars threatening to T-bone you, 3 coming straight at you, and one right up your arse, but as our driver seems to be da man and will no doubt do this every day, we make it to the centre in one piece. And so the fun begins.
We park in this carpark that is also an intersection and some guys with little trolleys come up and start trying to take everyones bags out of the van. Lucky we have car-park-to-hotel-guide-lady-slash-bad-ass-bitch with us. It's a two minute walk down some alleyways and creepy trolley guy stalks us the whole way there. Into our Riad, and as the outer door closes C.T.G and C.P.T.H.G.L.S.B.A.B let loose on each other. We can hear them screaming and yelling and I'm secretly thinking I'll never go out them doors again hahaha, and they slowly wander off and everyone pretends THAT didn't just happen. Sweet. But YAAAAY, Morocco!
We stayed at
>Riad Utopia< which was sooo nice. We put our stuff in our room, and went to sit by the pool for a breather, and they brought us out some mint tea and crazy biscuits. Awesome. After a breather it's time to go for a look. Map/water/sunnies and a general direction to head, towards the main Souk, Jemaa El Fna, for a wee looksee. And oh man. What a colourful, bustling, loud, pretty, smelly and interesting place it is. We thought we would just kinda have a look at a few things, maybe walk to some of the near sights. Nope, we just got sucked right in to this pretty maze of clothes/bags/shoes/bowls/trinkets/lightshades/food/soap friggin anything and everything. We figured pretty fast you just have to pretend your deaf and smile but boyyyyy I coulda bought some stuff. The only thing we did end up buying that day was a block of this yummy smelling rubbing perfume, I can't remember the flavour but the guy then got out a chameleon for mum to hold which made the stop even more worth it hahaha, their eyes are just soooo creepy. I feel like I'm skimming, but it really was just a lot to look at, people/stuff/building wise. On the way home we stopped off at a cafe for some more people watching, snacks and a breather from the sun, then made our way down the dusty barely there pavement back to our Riad.
A few things I found, snakes and their charmers can get right out of town, they're everywhere and it freaks me out. Well, until a guy told us they actually have their fangs ripped out and so now its more disgusts me out. Sneaky photos are a must, otherwise, if your camera is pointing at anyone (even if your taking a photo of like, the building waaay to the left of them)they will descend upon you all grabby smiles gimmie coins grr. Another thing is, the fresh squeezed orange juice guys, theres about 20 stalls in the square, are so handy. It's so hot, and it's like, 4 dirhams for a chilled glass which google tells me is 30p. Awesome.
Home for naptime. Then the best Moroccan salad and Lamb Tagine EVER, the night man at Riad Utopia can cooook I tell ya.
To be continued...
Comments