Lazy-bo-bazy
So we had another lazy beach day, we had a scooter and went to sit on the loungers for the afternoon. Again, awesome. We got a seafood platter thing, which I mostly ate but then there was this weird yellow rubbery thing that just wasn't for me. One of the ladies who walks around mostly being annoying and asking you every 15 minutes if you wanted to buy something comes and sits down for a while, and we buy salted peanuts off her. I guess she thinks that means we could be up for spending more, as she spends the next half hour or so giving me a foot rub and telling us about Cham island. Sweet deal.
We head back to Hoa My a different way this time, so we can go past the organic herb farm place thats just near the beach. We pull over to take some photos and this old dude comes up the track and ushers us down to where hes working, and then gets Sam to have a go at the...trench making? Some sort of irrigation ditch thing anyway, and Sams loving it, he's calf deep in muddy smelly water and moving silty mud around like he lives there. Very cool. I still don't like the idea of riding on the back of someone elses scooter, I'd say being a control freak has much to do with that, even tho Sam is very good at driving one, I think I prefer to have my own.
The next day we book to go to Cham island, or as the locals call it, Cù lao Chàm. Theres supposed to be snorkelling so we are a bit excited. We get picked up early, supposed to be 7.45 but its 7.30 and we are still eating breakfast. Scoff that down and off we go. We are the only, ONLY white people in the whole group. But that's ok. On the boat and going over to the island, halfway a girl gets a tad seasick, poor lass, I wish I hadn't noticed her dump a bag of sick overboard, but I did. When we get over there, a girl (whose name I just caaaan't remember) befriends us. Her and her brother live in Hoi An and are on school holidays. She's very nice - bạn đang rất tốt đẹp (you are very nice) - and spends the afternoon teaching us some Vietnamese. That word, rất, is very hard to say. You have to roll your tongue and make a high pitched sound and keep it to less than 2 seconds. They had a funny time laughing at us. We also got photos with them, I wonder what they do with them? She was very friendly tho, bought us these custard puff things and Sam an ear of corn, and another lady gave us these other crazy things wrapped in banana leaf. It was almost like licorice, with something inside, but not really. I could only eat half then discreetly put the rest in the bin. Then she bought me a hat, and then we had to have a photo with us and the hat and geez everyones always so nice here. After a random seafood lunch on the beach, and some market looking, temple stopping and swimming, we realised time was running out for snorkelling??? Where the hell? Thats why we came on this boat trip...Maybe it was too windy, maybe they forgot, I dunno but we didn't get to. We'll have to try again in Nha Trang, the next stop.
It's crazy how many people semi chase after you when you walk past their shop/resturant, it goes from being a novelty and saying things like sorry sorry not now, maybe later blah blah, to being annoying when you're kinda like NO f-off, to being background noise you just walk past. Sam came up with the idea we should film walking down this one street, where they see you coming and grab a menu and run out onto the street flipping it open for you. Theres one sure way to make me run away. Fast. Hoi An has a traditional dish called Cao lầu, and I forgot to write about how we ate it and it was AMAZING. The noodles were almost tough, but it was so yummy and mmm that it didn't matter. Another funny thing, that my friend Toni had told me about, is everyone thinks your married. And everyone asks if you are and how long and all that, it's kinda funny. Then when you say you're not married they laugh and har-har and why why, you silly, why you with him he's silly. It's hilarious.
Picked up the third and final pair of shoes today. And I didn't even get cowboy boots. They were just a tad too exp and I figure you can email order, so in the future, if I still need them, yes I said need, I can always order them that way. But! Fully stoaked with these 3 pairs.
One pair of leather ankle boots, some suede casuals with some sweet embroidery, and some plain jane all black work shoes. Hoi An you greedy bitch, I've spent so much money here, we are on a tight budget from here on out. Oh aaand it's funny cos my cell phone thinks I'm in Switzerland. Weird right. Not really close are they. X
Comments